That's right, CAMPING, again!
I swear, I don't know how I get talked into these things. Okay, I do. Peer pressure works. When I say "no" to something... if you keep asking me, I will eventually cave and agree to it. This is a fault of mine. In high school I almost joined the Army because the Army recruit kept calling me and asking me to join. I eventually made my mom pretend she was me and she told them "No, I don't want to join. Stop calling!" Can you picture ME in the Army?!? I never leave home without my eyelash curler!
Some fourth year friends of ours called and invited us to go camping with them. Eric said, "Our dads took us camping so I feel like we should take our kids camping." (*sigh*) Eventually I agreed/caved because Eric said he would plan, pack, and unpack everything. Helaman 16:20 came to mind, "...we know that this is a wicked tradition, which has been handed down unto us by our fathers..." I am certain they were referring to "camping" in this scripture.
We made homemade ice cream in a bag.
We went to the Civil War, Fort Pillow Museum. There was a battle here that is very controversial. Some say it was a massacre. The Union was in control of the fort and contained black soldiers. The Confederate army came and overtook the fort. Many people were shot and killed after they surrendered- the majority of those killed were black soldiers. The Confederate Major Forrest wrote, "The river was dyed with the blood of the slaughtered for two hundred yards. The approximate loss was upward of five hundred killed, but few of the officers escaping. My loss was about twenty killed. It is hoped that these facts will demonstrate to the Northern people that negro soldiers cannot cope with Southerners." There was a mile hike to the actual fort but it was nearing nap time and I didn't want the girls to have a melt down on the trail.
However, next time Eric says, "Our dads took us camping..." I will have to remind him that my dad no longer takes us camping... he takes us to condos- with indoor plumbing, electricity, beds, a kitchen, pools, and air conditioning.
4 comments:
Kiley you crack me up. We went camping over the weekend as well and Ty has a similar comment to Eric whenever I talk about just how much work camping is. :)
I loved camping growing up, but I haven't taken my kids yet... I don't know when it will start. Probably when we don't live in a place that is so hot and full of bugs... sorry about your legs, that is aweful!!
So funny! I remember saving you from the army recruit. I also had to save Kristi from the army....they kept demanding to speak to Kristi....she probably would have caved in also and joined. Sorry about all your bug bites.
I don't know what you are talking about...you would have been great in the army!
Post a Comment