Monday, July 16, 2012

Playa del Carmen Days 1 & 2

We arrived in Playa del Carmen (south of Cancun) on Saturday evening. By the time we checked into our hotel, got acquainted with the layout of the resort, and ate dinner, we were too exhausted to do anything else but sleep.
Sunday we took a taxi to church. Eric was kind enough to translate/semi-translate the meetings for me. I usually understand 4 out of 10 words... so I can kind of piece together conversations. In sacrament meeting we sat behind a family that said they were from Utah, but they all spoke to each other in Spanish. We thought this was a little peculiar. Then the Bishop suddenly asked the man sitting in front of us to speak- which is really peculiar because he was visiting. Then I hear "Segundo Consejero de la Presidencia General de los Hombres Jóvenes, Elder Ochoa." (2nd Counselor in the General Young Mens Presidency). His remarks were really good... just wish they were in English. =)

After church we went back to the hotel, with hopes to relax on the beach. Suddenly, the heavens opened up and it rained. It rained and rained and rained and rained. Rain + beach + vacation = DISAPPOINTING. Let's be honest, sitting on a beach in the rain wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. Although, Eric was relieved- he wasn't looking forward to laying around. But what do your do at a beach resort in the rain?

We ate a lot of delicious, fancy food. (Towards the end of vacation I really just wanted a subway sandwich.)
Eric swam in the pool (in the rain) while I sat under an umbrella reading a book while trying not to get my pages wet.

They had life size games in the children's area (yes, we were the only adults in there). Eric beat me every time at connect four... I beat him every time at air hockey. He had too much practice with ping pong at optometry school because he killed me mercilessly.

No comments: