During my last doctor's visit (Sept 20th), my doctor mentioned that he normally induces women with gestational diabetes at week 38 but decided not to induce me because he thought I really didn't have gestational diabetes and thought perhaps the lab made a mistake with my blood results. (I really never felt like I had G.D.) I mentioned a concern about the baby being too big to deliver to which he replied, "Size doesn't matter. We can always cut it out of you." Ummmm... How does one respond to a comment like that!?!?! So, I convinced him to schedule an induction. When his nurse called the hospital the earliest they could get me in was that Thursday (Sept 23) two days before my due date.
While packing my hospital bag on Thursday I received a phone call from the hospital telling me that there were too many women in actual labor so they couldn't fit me in and would try to fit me in on Friday. Friday came and I received another phone call telling me the same thing. This time they said they would try to get me in on Sunday at 3:00p.m. By this time I am past my due date and more than ready to evict this baby! Sunday I prepared myself to receive another phone call from the hospital but to my surprise they didn't call and they finally had room for me!!!
I was induced with Kinsley and figured it would be pretty much the same thing. (IV, PIT, break water, get epidural, deliver baby in less than 12 hours). I even told Eric, "We will have a baby before midnight."
My doctor had other plans.
When I got to my room I was hooked up to an IV and monitors. A few minutes went by when suddenly three nurses come running into my room. One throws an oxygen mask on me, one rolls me onto my side, and the other one tried to find the baby's heartbeat. It took a few minuets but it was eventually located. They said that perhaps the baby was playing with the umbilical cord. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 2.5-3. I thought they would start me on Pitocin but instead I laid around for a few hours and then a nurse came and gave me Cervadil (to soften my cervix). I asked the nurse why I wasn't just put on PIT and she said that my doctor prefers labor to be as natural and slow as possible so he ordered the Cervadil. My doctor eventually came to see me at 8:00 pm. He checked me and said that he expected my labor to go fairly quickly. I asked him to define "quick" and he said, "24 hours." After he left I looked at Eric and my nurse and said, "24 hours is quick!?! That is twice as long as my first baby!"
That night my contractions were strong and regular. Eric slept like a baby. I was eventually given something to help me sleep. It made me feel a little loopy but it took the edge off and helped me sleep- so I was extremely grateful.
Doctor Whaley came to check on me the next morning around 7:10. I was 90% effaced and dilated to a 3. He told my nurse to start me on Pit. At 10:00 I was dilated to a 4 and asked to have my epidural. When I was in labor with Kinsley. I held out on the epidural and was in a lot of pain. I am a fast learner and asked for the epidural earlier.
This hospital is weird. They make the husband leave the room while the wife gets her epidural. I was worried not having Eric in the room. I figured if I have to be in pain he should have to watch me be in pain. My nurse assured me that the best anesthesiologist was there and if she had to have an epidural he was the man she would want to give it to her. Eric left the room to get some breakfast (I thought he was going to the cafeteria but he left the hospital and went to Burger King). My anesthesiologist walked in with an intern and said "he will be assisting me." I looked at my nurse skeptically and she seemed a little concerned. I assumed the intern would be handing the anesthesiologist the tools but I assumed wrong. The anesthesiologist was just there to make sure the intern did it right. At first, I wanted to speak up and say, "Not to be rude but I don't want you near me with that 1 foot needle." I know if Eric had been there he would have said something. Then I felt bad because Eric practices on other peoples eyes all the time and this guy has to get experience somehow. I just wish it wasn't with me.
I get into position, I feel the needle go in, I feel a funny sensation go up my spine and into my neck, I hear the intern gasp, and I tell my nurse. "I think something went wrong. That didn't feel right." Then the anesthesiologist moved the intern aside and did it himself.
After they were done I was told what went wrong (but for the life of me can't remember) and I was told I would probably have a really big headache and was told to drink a Coke after labor because sometimes the caffeine can help.
By now I was irritated. Irritated with my doctor for letting my labor go on for soooo long (just turn the pit all the way up!). I was irritated at the intern for doing my epidural wrong. I was irritated at the anesthesiologist for letting the intern do it wrong. And I was irritated at Eric for reading his stupid books, leaving me alone during my epidural, and eating when I wasn't allowed to. Yep. I was irritated and I felt alone.
My oxygen levels were low so I had to wear an oxygen mask. Eric eventually came back- only to leave again to pick up Kinsley (from the Shurtz) and my parents and sister from the airport. It was nice having them visit. I didn't feel SO alone.
At 5 the doctor came to check on me and I was dialated to a 6. When he broke my water it was as if the Hoover Dam broke. Lots and lots and lots of water came out. Seriously, I was almost flooded out of my bed. My nurse said she had never seen so much water.
At 6:45 I was feeling some pain so they gave me some more pain meds. I was 90% effaced and dilated to 7 centimeters.
At 8:00 I was 100% effaced and dilated to 8.5 centimeters.
At 8:30 my mom came to visit me. My doctor arrived at the same time. He decided it was time to push. My mom left the hospital thinking, "She will be pushing a long time." I pushed once for the nurse then she told me to "Stop!" I pushed twice for the doctor.
Aila was born at 8:48 weighing 7 pounds .58 ounces, 21 inches in length, and an Apgar score of 9-9.
We called my mom at 9:00 wondering where she went (not knowing she went back to the hotel because she thought I was going to be awhile). She didn't believe we had already had her.
No comments:
Post a Comment