Friday, November 11, 2011

Zion National Park

In late October we went camping with Matty and Rhiannon to Zion National Park. I had never been so I was excited to go. Excited to go... not necessarily excited to go camping... in October... in LATE October...

Just so you know camping in October is cold and windy. After the first night I thought it would be a good idea to go home or rent a room. I don't think I slept at all. It was awful! I will admit that it was beautiful after the wind stopped blowing and the sun warmed up. We ended up staying for two nights and the second night was much better... thanks to my Unisom. Never vacation without it!
Eric, Matt, and Rhiannon took off one morning to go canyoneering in a short canyon called, "Boltergeist" (near Zion's). I was alone at camp so I took the girls on a walk by the river. They loved it. They especially loved playing in the sand and throwing rocks in the water. The canyoneers didn't get back to camp as soon as they thought- so we were able to make FIVE different trips to the river to play. I don't know how I would have kept them entertained without the river near by.
Canyoneering


See the spider? Eric threw rocks at it to see if it would come closer and chase him.
It's a mountain goat! It's a monkey! It's a spider! It's a lizard!.... No, it is just Eric.

The final repel was a 100-150 foot drop. Eric was thinking, "I sure hope this rope is tied right and doesn't break... cuz that would ruin my day."
All in all, Eric enjoyed canyoneering and and we were all glad that he didn't die.
Kinsley saw the tour buses drive by our campsite multiple time a day and begged us to let her go on one. One night we appeased her and left Matt at the campsite to cook our dinner.


I enjoyed my first trip to Zion's. My only regret is not hiking Angel's Landing with Eric. Although, next vacation I get to pick the destination. I am thinking someplace warm, with a real bed, tropical, with a beach, ... maybe the Caribbean. =)

3 comments:

The Jones Crew said...

It looks like you guys had a fun time camping with your friends Love, Kristi Jones

The Jones Crew said...

What is a unisome? Cute blog....

Greenwood Family said...

We should go "Camping" together. I love, hot water, warm beds, and eating indoors too. :)