Tuesday, November 16, 2010

SISTERS

"If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child." Linda Sunshine
Some people have asked how Kinsley is coping being a big sister? Well, Kinsley loves Aila! Sometimes we worry she loves her too much because she is often found squishing her in a tight bear hug! Every morning Kinsley says, "Kinsley want hold my Aila" (she usually refers to herself in third person). She adores her little sister.
While she loves her sister... there have been moments where her "love" has been questioned. One morning I was making the bed and I heard Aila start screaming like she was hurt. I ran into the living room and asked Kinsley "What happened?" She said, "Kinsley picked Aila nose." Sure enough, Aila's nose was bright red. Another time I heard screaming again and asked Kinsley what she did and she said, "Kinsley bite Aila finger." Why she is picking and biting I have no idea!!!
There are also some jealousy issues. At the beginning, Kinsley really started acting out and it was driving me CRAZY!!! I was giving her the same amount of attention but with the new baby she needed more. We still have some problems- if Eric is holding Aila Kinsley will say, "I want hold my daddy." So we will trade kids. Then she will say, "I want my mommy." Sometimes there is no pleasing her. She also wants my full attention when I am nursing Aila. I tried reading her books while I nursed but she wasn't satisfied. So now, I nurse with my legs up on the couch and while Aila sits in my lap to eat- Kinsley will sit on my legs, with her head on the Boppy while we sing songs, watch a cartoon, or read a book. While being a big sister has been an adjustment, she has also had to adjust to going potty on the big girl toilet. Yes, I am trying to do what all the books say not to... "it is best not to start potty training during times of stress (i.e. arrival of a new baby in the family, vacation)." We introduced her to the potty months ago but just recently got more serious about it and made her start wearing underwear during the day. I still haven't been brave enough to venture out in public very much- we went to the park the other day for an hour with no accidents. She has done surprisingly well and I am so proud of her! Although, I never knew going number two could be so traumatic.

5 comments:

Family History said...

Kiley, I love your blog! Wow, I could echo almost everything you just said with Amelia, she is the same way! That includes going number two. That was the hardest part of toilet training, it was like she was scared to go, it was so crazy. I'm still not sure what made it all okay, but I'm glad we are done with that phase....GOOD LUCK!!

The Gracie Jones blog said...

It was kind of like I was reading my own thoughts...we've had the exact same issues lately!! With the potty, the jealousy, too much love, etc!! They must be related or something...if you find something that works for getting Kinsley to go on the potty, let me know.

Collins said...

Love all the pictures and fun stories. I'm so glad Morgan is going to have a little sister to love and torment as well. At least Kinsley is honest about what she is doing to Aila. It leaves little room for wonder. Good luck with the potty.

Justin, Jessica, Kyleigh & Mason said...

Totally understand about number 2!! Kyleigh would break out into a sweat because she was so nervous to go in the potty. We used bribery to convince her then has a BIG celebration when she finally did go. Good Luck!

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

I love all these pictures of them together. Aila seems to be taking all the loving well:) Good luck with potty training. That has been the hardest thing about parenting for me, so I will offer no advice!!