Last week, we had a slight scare. I started spotting and I thought, "oh this isn't a big deal." Then I made the mistake of telling Eric, who immediately insisted that I go to the hospital. I don't know if it is the "Jones" gene in me but I wasn't hurt so I didn't want to go to the hospital. I told him I hadn't finished my "nesting" list and I needed to shower and shave my legs. (Priorities!) He told me that if I was still bleeding after my shower then I had to go to the hospital. My mom hemorrhaged with my older brother and by her description I knew this wasn't happening to me. I continued bleeding so I drove myself to the hospital-- Some people think I am crazy for going by myself but Kinsley was sleeping and I really thought the nurses would just laugh, run a little test, and send me home within 2 hours. Boy, was I WRONG! I was admitted to the triage room.
No one knew why I was bleeding so they ran 5 different tests and monitored me. My doctor came in and checked on me at 4:30 am. The longer I was there, the more I bled. I was dilated to a 2.5 and was having regular contractions. Doc was worried about placenta previa and so they continued to monitor me. They thought there was a slight chance I could go into labor so they put me on a liquid diet (broth, sprite, juice, jello). I was very jittery because of all of the sugar. By this time I was stir crazy! I was left in triage because there were no beds available (too many women having babies--and I heard them all!).
In this hospital you are brought to triage first, to be monitored and asked some questions, before they take you to a room. I was bored out of my mind so I listened to the different conversations. I decided I wouldn't make a very good nurse because I wanted to knock some heads together! One girl said she smokes 5-10 cigarettes a day and drinks wine but doesn't drink caffeine because that is "bad for the baby." Another girl was asked if the baby's daddy was involved and the girl said, "Yes," but when asked his name she couldn't come up with one because there were 3 different guys. Another girl with gestational diabetes came in and when asked what her sugars were last time she checked she said, "Really good! 200-210 last time I checked." I felt really bad for one mother who came in because she hadn't felt her baby move in a few days. You could tell by the nurses reaction that there was going to be bad news. So, I heard them try to find the heard beat and then get an ultra sound to discover that the baby was no longer living. It was sad.
Kids are not allowed in triage so Raymond and Amy took Kinsley for a few hours and Eric visited me. I told him I was starving and bored and begged him to bring me a candy bar and something to do. He didn't bring the candy bar but he did bring me a COOKING magazine--when you have had 3 meals of liquid a cooking magazine is not the best choice!
My Doctor finally came back to check on me around 6:00 PM (after Eric asked the nurse to "please find out if my wife can leave") and I told him, "If I don't eat something soon I am going to disappear from starvation!" He laughed. I was serious. He said my placenta looks fine and he didn't know for certain what caused the bleeding. He thinks that perhaps my cervix was irritated and all of the invasive tests made it bleed more. He gave me a list of things to look for if the bleeding got worse and he told me to take it easy. After 18 hours in triage I was finally set free!!!!!!!
When I returned home Raymond and Amy had a delicious meal prepared and I had a happy toddler! Thanks again you guys!
The next day Eric SURPRISED me with a pedicure!!!!!
10 comments:
Wow, that is a crappy deal. I wouldnt have wanted to go to the hospital either. In fact, I didnt want to go to the hospital the morning I went into labor- I had bleeding too. Its a good thing Steve made me. I might have delivered at home!
Glad everything is ok. Baby still needs a little more tummy time.
Cute toes! I am glad you are fine and the baby is healthy. That is so sad about the lady who lost her baby.
Yikes 18 hours!!!! Holy cow I would have been board an starving too. I bet it was a little scary, sorry you had such a busy labor day weekend. But I am glad you are okay. Good luck these last few weeks
You are going to let me take your babies pictures right??!! It'll be part of your present.
I'm glad everything is okay. So that's some pretty crazy drama in the triage though am I right. Reading about it was like watching an episode of Greys.
Kinsley was so good both times! We were glad we could watch her. Just wish you guys would have called earlier so you weren't stuck alone all day!
Glad things are doing better.
You deserved a pedicure after that scare! Let me know if you need anything. Kinsley is more than welcome to come play anytime.
How scary. I'm glad everything turned out okay. Good luck with the next couple weeks.
I love your purple toe nails they are so cute Love, Kristi
How scary, but glad that everything is okay! I agree with Heather, sad for that lady who lost her baby, worst news ever! You did deserve those toes and I'm glad Eric finally got the hint!
Glad things are fine. I HATE that triage room. I think it is such a weird way to do things. Seriously.... can the poor woman having a devastating day, losing her baby that far along have some better accommodation than a thin curtain hung around her. Honestly! It makes me mad. I guess that is the Social Worker side of me coming out!
BUT really I am glad things turned out well for you. Not too much longer!
Post a Comment