Friday, July 3, 2009

Our Trip To Nauvoo, IL

Eric had a few days off work and so we decided to take a short vacation. We pulled out a map and discussed the places we could go. At first, we thought South Carolina would be fun but then decided that it was too far to drive with a one year old. Then we thought we could go to New Orleans but we didn't know what we would do once we got there. Finally, we thought about Nauvoo and, here we are.

You know you must be from the greatest town on earth when you can walk down the streets of Nauvoo, thousands of miles away from home, and suddenly a van stops and drives in reverse and the driver shouts out his window, "Hey, aren't you a Jones girl? Kristi's sister?" You know you have a special little sister when people know you as only, "Kristi's sister." We ran into the Christensen's who are in my Uncle Dee and Aunt Bonnie's ward.

Then, you can be waiting in line to go into a performance and you keep looking at this girl and thinking to yourself, "Weird, she looks like a Harper..." and it turns out she IS a Harper (Uncle Craig and Aunt Ida's niece from Declo).

Then, you can be sitting in a performance watching the senior couples sing and dance. You notice a couple that look like President and Sister Hill from your Stake in Burley.... wait.... that IS President and Sister Hill.....

Yes, Burley Idaho is the greatest place on earth.... even if you are in Nauvoo.
One of our favorite things in Nauvoo was the carriage ride with President Hill. We rode through the farm lands and tree groves with narration of experiences of some of the Saints in Nauvoo.

The Nauvoo Temple
The Visitor's Center

Restored Buildings

We went to different buildings and learned about the lives and lively hood of the Saints. Eric and I decided that we wouldn't have made very good pioneers.

Carthage Jail
This is the original door with a bullet hole in it.

Smith Family Cemetery
I couldn't help myself.... I just love taking pictures of Kinsley.
Miscellaneous pictures from our trip.

This statue of Jesus Christ was in the visitor's center. When Kinsley saw it she walked up to him, touched the wounds in his feet, and kissed his toe. It was a precious moment.

6 comments:

Washington Family said...

This is so cool! I 'd love to go there someday!

Brent & Paij Collins said...

Wow, that looks like such a fun trip. I'm glad you guys got to go and made it safely. How did Kinsley do in the car?

The Jones Crew said...

you guys look like you had fun on your trip I like the pictures you send to us you guys are so cute I love you guys so very much. Love, Kristi

Brittany H said...

How fun! I love Nauvoo! I'm sorry you couldn't see many of the fireworks, I've heard they are amazing!

Luna said...

We were there at the same time... but I am not from Burley, ID... so I suppose that is why we didn't see each other.

I do have to admit, you got to see a WHOLE lot more than we did. The more naps you have to coordinate the harder it gets, imo.

Scot and Jenny said...

Such a great place! I'm glad you had a good trip!