Friday, March 6, 2009

Spring Break in Branson, MO

After a short visit in Mississippi, we all went to Branson, Missouri (during Eric’s Spring Break). For those of you who don’t know anything about Branson…. it is like a mini Las Vegas- without the gambling, strippers, pornography, wild partying, young people, casinos, scantily clad women, drinking, excessive smoking, prostitution…. Hmm… okay so maybe it isn’t ANYTHING like Vegas but it does have some great shows and a road everyone refers to as the “Strip.”
We had a great time in Branson! It was weird at first because 99.5% of the people there were over the age of 65; our family made up the other 0.5%. It was their off-season so none of the shows were packed. The first night, we went to a variety show called Pierce Arrow. The comedy act was by far the best. We also went to an a cappella show called SIX. We were all amazed at all of the different sounds that came out of their mouths.
On our last night in Branson we went to the Dixie Stampede (a dinner show). Before the show, we went to the stables to show Kinsley the horses. She was very intrigued by them and kept wrinkling her nose at them. While our waitress was serving us food, she said Kinsley looked as big as her niece and guessed her age to be six months. I informed her that she was eight months old and then my dad loudly said, “She is a midget.” Guess who was sitting right next to Eric… a “little person."During the show Eric and I were asked to participate. He was instructed to race across the arena and pick out a horse for us to ride for a barrel race. I thought to myself “Grandpa Beck is going to be so proud that I rode this horse around some barrels.” As Eric picked a horse, I remembered one vital piece of information…. I am terrified of horses. I contemplated walking out of the arena but then the MC informed us that he chose from the wrong horses. We were going to ride STICK horses around the arena. Embarrassing…. Yes… but I didn’t break my neck doing it.Kinsley must have really missed her Grandparents and her Aunt Kristi because she cried all of the way home (5.5 hours). Eric and I were pretty much frazzled by the time we arrived home and were even more frazzled as Kinsley cried for four more hours… she refused to eat but we finally got her to stop screaming by rocking her to sleep. Not to worry, today was a better day and she is almost back on her schedule.

5 comments:

The Sullengers said...

How fun to have family out and go on a vacation! It's good to see what the South has to offer - lots of fun places to visit. Unfortunately we were stuck here cause I had to work, but after the baby comes we may have to take a few road trips this summer!

Christina and Jason said...

We went to Branson on the way here! What a funny place. My favorite was all of the little antique shops they had everywhere..they smelled like my grandma! :) Looks like you guys had a fun time!

Lant Family said...

I am glad you guys had a fun time on your trip with your family. I am still jealous you got to go to the Dixie Stampede, I have always wanted to see that show.

Vrska's said...

Sounds like you guys had a great trip and time together with family. Don't you hate when they get off their schedules though? It almost makes doing things and going places a hesitation when you realize the grumpy babies they are going to be after the whole thing.

The Jones Crew said...

I've decided that you are much better at blogging than me. I think I will just direct people to your blog and you can explain what we did on our vacation! Have a great one. Love, Mom