Sunday, January 11, 2009

Some Things Just Belong Together...

I've been thinking (scary I know) and I have come to the conclusion that some things just belong together.... like....
Eric and Kiley
Mom and Dad
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Crackers and Cheese
China and COT
Diet Pepsi and Ice
Socks and Shoes
Optometry School and Massive Debt
Sunday and Popcorn
WHAT?!?! "Blasphemy" you say?

On the contrary, L. Tom Perry has said, "Traditions... keep us close to the great heritage which is ours." Thus the reason why Sunday belongs with popcorn. For those of you who don't understand, the Jones family has a long running tradition and every Sunday we eat popcorn. I can recall as a small child watching Grandpa Jones getting out his yellow popper, his huge silver popcorn bowl, the butter, and the salt shaker. You could almost taste the excitement in the air.... Ahhh... POPCORN!!! Sunday just would not be Sunday, in the Jones Family, if there was no popcorn.

You may be asking yourself, "why is she posting this?" Just sit back, pop some popcorn and I will give you an explanation.

I was recently home and, to my utter amazement, my family did not pop popcorn on Sunday (gasp!!!). Sure we had treats- truffles, caramels, chocolates, slush, candy canes, peanut brittle, etc... When I mentioned to my mom that we should make caramel popcorn she replied, "Why don't we just make smoothies."...............
SMOOOOOTHIES!?!?!?!

What is the world coming to if you don't have popcorn on Sunday!?!?!

So, this post goes out to all of the Jones Family who reads this... "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught..." (2 Thessalonians 2:15) Even Alma says, "Behold, O ye wicked and perverse generation, how have ye forgotten the tradition of your fathers; yea, how soon ye have forgotten the commandments of God." (Alma 9:8) Do not fall into the wicked ways of our fathers!!! I am certain this includes Sunday Popcorn.

8 comments:

Rosie said...

hahaha! I didn't understand it when I first married Biff. It took us a few months to get a popcorn popper and I swear he almost cried with joy. I, on the other hand, have great memories of making smoothies with my family on sundays :D

I get the feeling no matter what treat I make on Sunday it'll always be accompanied by popcorn. ha.

Aubry & Trevor said...

I totally agree with you Kiley--Sunday & popcorn do go together in the Jones Family! I remember going to Grandpa Jones' too as a kid and eating popcorn. What a wonderful tradition!

Aubry & Trevor said...

I totally agree with you Kiley--Sunday & popcorn do go together in the Jones Family! I remember going to Grandpa Jones' too as a kid and eating popcorn. What a wonderful tradition!

The Gracie Jones blog said...

I would be HAPPY to carry on that tradition, but Jared doesn't love popcorn like the rest of you. I don't know where he came from...

The Dilg Clan said...

Kiley, You kill me:) I agree with the traditions theme though! Popcorn on Sunday does sound pretty good...mmmmmm...:)

The Sullengers said...

Hey Kiley-
It's Cara Sullenger - I just had to comment - I thought this post was hilarious, especially with the scripture references at the bottom! Good for you for keeping up tradition!

Jill Manning said...

Aaaaa, you add the COT onto the list, I feel so honored. Yes, traditions are the best and should be honored forever and ever!

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister! It just wouldn't be keeping the sabbath holy if we didn't have popcorn! (Macey and Natalie both took a English for credit class from CSI their SR. year, and they both wrote a paper about the tradition of Sunday Popcorn!)Us Jones love our popcorn!