In March Eric found a great "deal" on groupon.com for a teeth cleaning, x-rays, and whitening trays for $69. We don't have dental insurance and neither of us had been to the dentist in a very long time (3 years), so we decided it was time to go. I was certain my outcome in the dental chair would be better than Eric's because I am an avid brusher, flosser, whitener, etc.... and, let's be honest, he is less than dedicated in his oral hygiene.
So, when the hygienist came in and told me I needed a root canal on a bottom left tooth I was flabbergasted! She pointed to the tooth that "should be in pain" and asked me if I drank a lot of sweet tea... which I replied, "never" (she didn't seem to believe me). She showed me the x-ray where my tooth was decaying and the nerve. "Are you sure?" I asked, "I never get pain on that side but lately I have been having tooth aches on my right side." No one listened. I didn't see anything. But the doctor did and Eric did. I was still in shock. The x-rays said it all and I was scheduled for a root canal 2 weeks later.
For two weeks I was in denial. Sure, my dad has had root canals, my mom has had root canals, my older brother has had root canals... but I am Smiley Kiley... I can't have a root canal! I kept telling Eric, "I really don't think anything is wrong with my tooth." To which he replied, "Kiley, I saw the x-ray. You need a root canal." But a girl can dream right? For the next two weeks I prayed that I wouldn't have to have a root canal and have to come up with $2,000 to fix my tooth. Prayers are answered right?
During my second trip to the dentist a dental assistant numbed the left side of my face and took and x-ray of my "decaying tooth" but came back puzzled. There was nothing wrong with my tooth!
I felt like gloating and telling everyone how wrong they were. Everyone should know by now that I am always right.
Then to "be sure" she took an x-ray of the right side... and I thought to myself, "Oh, oh. That is where I have been having some toothaches." It turns out I am not always right... just kind of right. Somehow, they got the x-rays turned around and I proceeded to sit in the dental chair for two hours (who knew a root canal would take for-e-ver!) while he removed the decay and nerve. He patched the hole, wrote prescriptions for Valium and an antibiotic, and said, "See you back in a few weeks."
WHAT?!?! Apparently, I wasn't done yet.
Before leaving I decided to ask the assistant if I could take the medications while breastfeeding (don't people read charts?)? To which she replied, "No" and snatched the Valium prescription right out of my hand. I could have kicked myself for being SO stupid--I'm sure I could have sold them for twice their cost on the street!
I wasn't quite prepared for my third visit. I guess I didn't really know what a "crown" entailed. I thought they would just put a cap over my tooth. Boy, was I wrong. First, they took a picture of my tooth and within minutes they had another made just like it. Isn't technology amazing? It was pretty cool but I didn't have time to appreciate the coolness because suddenly the dentist was grinding my tooth down to a nubbin. NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GRINDING MY TOOTH DOWN TO A NUBBIN!!! I almost had an emotional breakdown. Over the past twenty something years I had grown pretty attached to that tooth and suddenly it wasn't there anymore. They should really warn you before they remove a body part. After my tooth was removed the doctor asked me if I wanted to see it. I think I glared at him because he didn't ask again. I was furious for hours.
Grudgingly now, I can admit that the dentist did a good job. After all the work I was never in enough pain to take a Valium. Oh, that's right I couldn't have taken one if I needed one! The doctor's office was nice, the equipment was cool, the office secretary entertained and fed Kinsley treats, and (to top if all off) I got to the watch HGTV, undisturbed, for HOURS while I was getting work done.
5 comments:
oh man HGTV for hours--that sounds great. All the other stuff, not so great. I hope he didn't fill you in on all the other "details" that your procedure entailed. Did they makek your crown that same day they drilled it to a nubbin? I have heard they can do that now which is great! That is a bummer that your great deal turned into a not so great deal. But you got free whitening--that is nice!
Way to have a good attitude. :) I agree with you, I would have freaked out when they removed my tooth. A root canal is my WORST dental fear!!
You are lucky your tooth wasn't bothering you before your root canal. I had a root canal and it was the pain BEFORE they worked on me that was unbearalbe. My tooth hurt so bad it was unbelievable. Getting the root canal itself isn't really anymore painful than getting a cavity filled it's just a lot longer process, but really consider yourself incredibly blessed your tooth didn't hurt beforehand!
i feel your pain, I had to get one a year ago and even Dallen didn't prepare me for how long they took. Just don't hold it against your dentist, they really are good guys :-) Now you know how they make the $ off of the groupon, sure its a 69 dollar deal, plus 2000 for the root canal.
Good idea. Sell the Valium and pay for your root canal. Just sayin'.
Post a Comment