Monday-Tuesday we went on our first camping trip, to Lake Chewalla, with the girls. Early May seemed like a nice time of year to go but it was too hot, humid, and muggy. The heat was stifling. It probably didn't help that all of our meals had to be cooked with a camp fire (my bad). Who wants to sit around a campfire cooking a hot dog in 90 degree weather? I tried to nurse Aila in the privacy of our tent but we both ended up sweating like pigs and so we fled to the van with the air conditioning running full blast. Night time was difficult because it didn't cool down much and the hole in our air mattress that Eric "fixed" suddenly gave birth to three more holes. I hate when that happens.
Eric and I grew up camping with our families. We absolutely loved it and have many fond camping memories. However, our experience with our own children left much to be desired. We decided camping is something parents do for their children's enjoyment-- NOT for their own enjoyment.
When we asked Kinsley if she had fun, she said, "YES!" Then we asked her if she wanted to go again and she said, "No, I want to go to the park to play on the toys." There you have it folks! An hour at the park is more enjoyable than two days camping.
eat a burnt hot dog (check)
play with fire (check)
swim in dirty lake (check)
eat s'mores (check)
get bit by mosquitoes (check)
sleep on holey mattress (check)
play in dirt (check)
see a snake (check)
smell like smoke (check)
pee behind tree (check)
next vacation... Holiday Inn (triple check)
7 comments:
oh what a bummer. We want to go camping before it gets to be to hot. Hopefully that wont happen to soon :) I have never heard of that lake, maybe we will have to check it out!
Brent is totally jealous. No camping with an almost two month old for me. I'm with Kinsley. The park is good enough.
You are a trooper Kiley. Kids are dirty for weeks after camping.
What good parents. It's going to be awhile before my boys get to experience camping!
I totally feel the same way. Jason and I both loved to camp... until we took kids. Jason still loves it, but it is soooo much work for me. I do have fun memories from our camping adventures though!
That's awesome you guys went camping! I love camping, but yes it is a whole lot of work, preparation and messy, especially w/kids! But hey, if you get s'mores out of it, it's a success! :)
It looks like you guys had fun on your first camping trip I love all of your camping pictures they are all so cute Love, Kristi
Post a Comment