Saturday, July 24, 2010

Little Things That Made Us Smile

Since Kinsley has turned two she seems more like a little girl than my baby. It never ceases to amaze me how fast she is learning new things/words! Just the other day I was taking my morning walk and I pointed out a fire hydrant and whenever Kinsley saw one she would point it out and say "fire hynant" (hydrant is a hard word to say). Here are a few little stories that she has done that has made us smile.

Garbage Truck
One morning Kinsley and I were eating breakfast and I heard the garbage truck drive down the road. Kinsley heard it too and yelled "Garbage Truck!" Then she held her hands in the air and said, "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BEEP!" Seconds later the truck picked up the dumpster outside our house and made a loud banging sound "Boom! Boom! Boom!" Then he set the dumpster down and backed away from it: "Beep." What a smarty pants!

Baby
A few days ago Kinsley felt the baby kick. She asked me "What's that?" I told her the baby was kicking mommy. She then started pushing on my belly saying, "More baby! More baby!" Another day Kinsley came up to me and felt my belly she asked, "Baby kicking?" I said, "No, the baby is sleeping right now." She then got really close to my belly and yelled, "Wake up baby! Wake up!"

Sign Language
Eric has been trying to teach Kinsley to sign "I love you" but she has a hard time putting down and leaving up the correct fingers. Recently, while driving in the van, Kinsley started yelling, "Te Amo Daddy! Te Amo Daddy! Te Amo Daddy!" (I love you Daddy). We both looked back at her and saw her hands perfectly signing "I love you"Potty Training
Let's be honest, I haven't tried very hard in this area. I keep thinking I need to be more strict in the potty training process but cleaning the floor everyday seems more daunting than wiping a bottom. So I have been very lax. Kinsley will usually go potty 2 times a day on the "big girl potty" but I have to make her sit there to go. I thought I was making progress when I bought some Elmo underwear. She loves her Elmo underwear and we talked about how Elmo likes staying dry and clean. While I was washing dishes Kinsley suddenly ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. Seconds later I heard clapping and she yelled, "Yeah! Peepee in the potty! Yeah!" I went in to check on her and sure enough there was peepee in the potty. I was a proud mom. Then I started looking for her Elmo underwear to put back on her but I couldn't find them. I lifted up her shirt and low and behold... she forgot to take them off and peed through them.

Counting to 10
Kinsley loves counting to ten. She counts everything- objects on her plate, characters in books, magnets on the refrigerator, etc. Even if there aren't ten objects, she recounts however many there are to make sure she comes out with the number ten. The only problem is she ALWAYS skips five... "1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!"

Reading Books
In college I took a Children's Literature class and fell in love with little kid books. It was there I started collecting books for my future children. Even now I have a list of classic books I want to add to my collection. Kinsley loves being read to. Throughout the day she will bring me books so I can read to her. Last week I caught her reading "The Three Billy Goats" to herself and whenever the goats got to the bridge she said, "trip, trap, trip, trap" When she finished that book she picked up "No! David" (by David Shannon). She turned every page and said, "No! No! No!" and when she got to the last page she said, "Love you." She kind of read the entire thing by memory!

5 comments:

Brittany H said...

Cute stories! At least when she counts she only skips 5! Jefferson just repeats "2,3,2,3" over and over!
I can't believe how fun and how challenging this age is!

R and A Lambert said...

HaHa! Loved the potty story! She is a funny girl!

We Joneses said...

So cute! my favorite was imagining her yelling for the baby to wake up. Hopefully she gets that out of her system now. :) My sister wrote a blog post (smitholand.blogspot.com) about how some libraries sell kids books! you should check and see if any of yours do. I hear you can get smashing deals.

Jenn said...

Oh she is so precious!!! I love this age-- they are so funny and it is so fun to watch them learn new things every day!! We are so excited to see you guys in a few weeks!!

Luna said...

Very Cute!