Saturday, April 18, 2009

Eric's attempt at a 1/2 marathon

A few months ago, Eric's buddy, Raymond, convinced Eric to run a half-marathon with him in Jackson, TN. Raymond has been diligently training in preparation for today's event but Eric had only laced up his running shoes five times (4 of the 5 times he only lasted 15 minutes before he had to walk).

Yesterday, we decided not to go to Jackson (Eric didn't want to get up at 5:00 AM to drive there Saturday morning and I didn't want to spend $100+ in hotel, gas, food if we were to make it a weekend trip) so Eric found a trail at Shelby Farms that, if run 4 times, would be about the same distance as a half-marathon. As predicted by his classmates, the shin splints DID kick in within the first 10 minutes. However, he didn't puke, faint, or get any bad blisters.

Since he ended up walking half of it, his time was 19 minutes longer than planned and he HATED it, so, today officially ends his long-distance running career.

"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength." ~King Benjamin

4 comments:

Luna said...

The quote at the end is a nice touch!

Bailey Family said...

oh this post put a smile on my face! Hey Eric at least you attempted! I havent got that in me nor does Ryan so we give you props! Love the quote! ha! So I was going to tell you that the Woods are in our ward in west jordan. They live right by us and we hang out with them sometimes. What a small world!!!

Mitzi Beal said...

Eric that is commendable that you did it at home anyway. You should consider more training before you attempt another one. It would be a much better experience I promise. Of course it's pretty crappy to run that far so I fully support the end of your distance running career as well.

R and A Lambert said...

Dear Eric, don't give up! I would suggest that you get some real running shoes though...basketball shoes are just not the same. Just remember, NO PAIN, NO GAIN! =)