Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Preschool

I started college as a "Preschool Education" major...that only lasted a year. I would get so frustrated when my lesson plans (that I spent hours on) flopped or didn't go the way I planned. I loved the kids. I loved hearing their stories. They always made me smile. But I hated preparing lessons and teaching. Then I decided to move to China and teach small Asian children. Once again, it was proven that I loved the kids, loved hearing their stories (when I understood them), they always made me smile, but I hated preparing lessons and teaching. I felt like some of my BEST lessons were ones I didn't even prepare. When I moved back to the states I changed my major to Child Development-- NO teaching required!

We moved to Utah and I started looking for preschools to enroll Kinsley in. I knew she would probably be the youngest one in her class but I also knew she would soak up things like a sponge. Unfortunately, we couldn't fit it into our budget. When my mom suggested I teach Kinsley, I had to remind her how much I hate teaching. Then she reminded me of all of the lesson plans, teaching supplies, activities, books, etc... that I had and convinced me to give it a try.

Kinsley and I have preschool every Tuesday and Thursday. Whenever we start school, she immediately begins calling me "teacher" and not "mom". Somedays-- I LOVE it! Others-- I want to pull my hair out! All in all- it has been fun watching her learn. She loves counting and can almost get to 50 on her own. We also have singing time where we sing the songs she is learning in Primary. We started basic math and the other day I was on the computer, and she came up to me and said, "Mom, two plus one is three" and then ran away. Another time she asked me how to spell my name-- and then to my surprise-- she wrote it. It makes me want to be a fly on the wall when I really do enroll her in school.
I made this dry erase book filled with different preschool learning pages. I love how she "circled" the picture that is the same.
One day, we were learning about the different seasons. We made this snowman for our window. Late at night, he scares me... it feels like someone is standing at my window staring at me. I always do a double take- then realize it is just a bunch of paper plates.

2 comments:

Vrska's said...

Props to you, that is so much work but so rewarding at the same time!

Looks like you and Eric had a great time skiing! It's always the best when you get to share that time with your husband!

Mitzi Beal said...

That is so awesome. I wish now I had been a preschool teacher or an el ed teacher. I wish I had all of the lesson plans that you have. I am trying to do my own preschool with my children too, but I need to do better. Kinsley is so smart, good work Kiley!