Saturday, March 17, 2012

Eye Surgery

For those of you who don't know, Eric has very poor eye sight. The only letter he can read on the eye chart is the enormous E (when he gets out of the chair and walks right up next to it). His vision defect has worked out well for me because in the mornings, I don't look my best and he can't see anything unless it is 5.8 inches in front of his face (yes, he has measured). Well, that all changed last week after Eric had eye surgery.

He now has an Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL) sitting behind his iris and in front of his crystalline lens. This surgery is better than LASIK/PRK but costs more. Lucky for him, his last rotation was at The Eye Institute of Utah, and they gave him a great deal. After calculating how much he would spend on contact lenses and glasses during the next decade, he found that the surgery actually saved him thousands of dollars.


Pre surgery- all smiles.
During surgery.

All done.
Immediately after surgery, Eric was able to look across the room and read this sign.
Two hours after surgery, he said, "I think I am going to be sick" and suddenly turned white. So, being the good wife I am, I took his picture instead of getting him something to drink...eventually, I got around to finding him some water. It probably would have helped if he would have eaten dinner the night before and breakfast prior to the surgery.
Aila, who never snuggles with anyone, felt bad for Eric- climbed on his lap and held him. Lucky dog-- not only did he get healed from blindness he also got some cuddle time.
At one point Eric asked me to look at his eyes and see if anything was wrong with them. I said, "Umm... something is wrong with your eyes. One is GREENish!" He assured me that it was normal. They went back to blue after the dilation wore off.The song, "I'm Sexy and I Know It" comes to mind. =) Eric had to sleep with eye shields for three nights. I guess they were afraid I was going to poke him in the eyes.12 hours after surgery, he had better vision than me WITH my glasses on. (He continually likes to brag about that.)

Now that he can see me in the mornings I guess I am going to have to start wearing make-up to bed.

4 comments:

Lant Family said...

That is awesome! I like his nighwear :)

Jenn said...

Yay for modern medicine!!!

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

So cool! I'm A little jealous.

The Gracie Jones blog said...

haha...you being the good wife you are took his picture instead :) I loved that line! Congrats to Eric on your new eyes! Woo-hoo!