Friday, August 12, 2011

Confession

I love men’s neckties. Seriously. Love them! I will often find myself perusing men’s wear because I love looking at the different colors, textures, and patterns of men’s neckties. There is such a wide variety that I never get bored looking/touching/buying. My dad loves ties too. I believe he owns 100’ish ties. Perhaps my dad’s tie fetish has been passed to me genetically. Eric, on the other hand, hates ties. He always tells me NOT to buy him a new tie for father’s day, his birthday, and Christmas but I just can’t seem to control myself. When I walk by the men’s wear I always see a tie that I know Eric “must have”. So, for every father’s day, birthday, and Christmas he has gotten a tie from me. I swear, it is an addiction.

In March my dad introduced me to buying ties on eBay. He showed me his new purchases and I was in tie heaven. He was buying ties from China for under $4. WHAT A BARGIN! Not only was it an amazing deal but the Chinese went through great lengths to make them look authentic. Where else can you buy a REAL FAKE Paul Smith, Giorgio Armani, Hugo Boss, Burberry woven silk men’s necktie for under $4 dollars?!?! I soon became addicted.


It was all of a sudden like a game to me. Whenever I outbid someone I would jump in the air and scream “I won sucker!!!” and do a victory dance. I would never pay more than $4 for a tie (including shipping) and I am really proud of the tie I won for a penny. That is right, ONE PENNY!!! You can’t beat that at Goodwill!

I lived, breathed, ate, slept by the computer because I loved watching myself win more and more beautiful silk woven neckties. Then I would go to the mailbox multiple times during the day because I got a kick out of seeing all of my little tie packages in the mail that said “electronics” on it. (Gotta love the Chinese!)

Eric would come home from school and I would be SOOO excited to show him the ties I won that day. He eventually had to sit me down and say, “Kiley, you are not WINNING anything. You are BUYING everything.”

Hmmm, I guess he has a point. I won’t tell you how many ties I won… err… bought on eBay because it is slightly embarrassing but I will tell you I won... err... bought between 20-50 beautiful woven silk men’s neckties. And I love every single one of them!

Ebay Anonymous

Hello. My name is Kiley and I am addicted to buying beautiful woven silk neckties on eBay.

Eric has an issue with matching clothes. He blames his color blindness and I blame his lack of fashion sense. I got tired of him waking me up every morning asking, "Does this go together?" Now, after I wash his shirts I match them with a tie. He asks me to set out pants and sock as well but I refuse. I have to draw the line somewhere! He is not five and I am not his mom. Seriously, with so many beautiful tie choices shouldn't getting dressed be cake?!?

9 comments:

Angela Cothran said...

I love ties too!!! Maybe it is a deeper genetic link than you think.

Femme Facetious said...

Ha! This is fantastic. I love the picture of the shirts matched with ties... those are some beautiful ties! Makes me sad that Mike doesn't have to wear ties to work anymore :( Eric is one lucky guy!

Katrina said...

Wow... beautiful ties! I think I might need to go get Steve some Real Fake ties.

The Ricks Family said...

Hey, Dallen needs some new ties, I looked but everything I saw was 10ish, any secrets or favorite sellers? Drop me an email...

Macey said...

this is hilarious. im pretty sure i laughed out loud. and then read it out loud to the whole family. i'm impressed with your skills.

Abram said...

The tie fetish must be genetic. Thanks (or maybe no thanks) for introducing me to ties on Ebay. Now I'll probably get hooked...

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

You make me laugh. Too bad you couldn't find great women's accessories for that cheap and be addicted to buying them.

The Orton's said...

you are so funny. i just noticed only three more days in the south! then where? will you make it home in time for the cassia county fair and rodeo? good luck with the move.

The Sullengers said...

This post was hilarious! Thanks for the good laugh!