Magic: “Any art that involves supernatural powers”
When I was younger my littler brother received a magic set as a gift. I was awed when he doubled the rice in a bowl with the wave of his magic wand, made coins disappear before my eyes, and guessed the correct number & suit I drew from the deck of cards. It was MAGIC… until he ruined the magical experience and told me the secret behind the magic trick. So magic became unmagical to me.
There is something SOOO peaceful, beautiful, serene, and magical when holding your sleeping baby/child. For this reason, I have always struggled with putting my kids down for naps and bedtime. I tried the “let cry” method with Kinsley 4-5 times but it always broke my heart hearing her cry. Eventually, I would cave and come to her rescue. I started nursing her to sleep and when she stopped nursing I started singing her songs and rocking her until she fell asleep. Even to this day (over 2.5 years later) she prefers to be sung and rocked to sleep. When I had Aila I was determined not to nurse her to sleep and I don’t. However, like I mentioned, there is something SOOO peaceful, beautiful, serene, and magical when you are holding your sleeping baby/child. So, I fell into a pattern of ROCKING her while she snuggled her sweet little face into my neck.
Moments like these I absolutely LOVE being a mom.
It is SOOO sweet.
I LOVE it!
Until…..
Aila came down with a cold and had a bad cough for over a week. Every time she would cough it would wake her up. Every time she woke up she realized she wasn’t being held anymore. Every time she realized she wasn’t being held anymore she cried. Every time she cried I had to get out of bed and rock her back to sleep.
Moments like these I question WHY I wanted to me a mom.
It ISN'T sweet.
I HATE it!
I needed help.
My mom crochets each grandchild a blanket like this one. To the untrained eye, some may look at this blanket and say, “It is just a blanket.” But, I swear to you, it was not only made with love… it was also made with supernatural MAGICAL powers!
The magical power was recently discovered.
Seriously. I swear.
After a frustrating night of no sleep, I grabbed this blanket and set her in her crib and prepared myself to try the “let cry method.” Seconds later (seriously only seconds), she pulled the blanket by her face and was sound asleep. I couldn’t believe it! I thought it was a fluke. Yet, night after night, nap after nap, as long as she has this blanket she will fall asleep within seconds.
It is a lifesaver!
It is a miracle!
No, it is MAGIC!!!Unfortunately, I fear the unknown and I am scared to wash it. What will I do if it loses some of it’s magical powers in the washing machine?!?!
7 comments:
I believe it - Hudson has a magic blanky too - it's really ugly, but it works and when I first introduced it, it became my little miracle!
I hope your blanket continues to be magic. We loved your story.
That is a beautiful blanket. I crocheted my daughter her blanket and it is her magic blanket too. She loves it to pieces and it makes me happy since it took so long to make. I love a sleeping baby in my arms but I can't handle nursing or rocking a baby to sleep. I am not patient enough to spend that much time trying to do that, but a sleeping baby in your arms is precious!
I want a magic blanket!!! I can't get Brigham to nap lately. He won't let me rock him and when I just lay him down he cries like I have abandoned him. It's so sad!
I believe in magic blankets...and benadryl :)
I hope the blanket keeps working for you. My guess is magic is safe on the gentle cycle.
I totally agree-- your mom's blanket are magical!! My kids love them so much and they stand up to all their love--Karson's is still in great shape.
Post a Comment