Friday, October 23, 2009

Eyes

Eyes have become really important in our household. Not only because Eric studies them on a daily basis but also because it is Kinsley’s third word (after momma, and dad of course). She has discovered that everything has eyes: mom has eyes, she has eyes, all of her teddy bears have eyes, characters in her books have eyes, strangers have eyes, the jack-o-lantern has eyes... She is constantly pointing out everything and everyone with eyes. She is obsessed! She must take after Eric.

Eric and I recently had our yearly eye checkups and he had been pestering me to get Kinsley an eye exam at his school because he wanted to see what a pediatric appointment was like. I reluctantly agreed.

It was okay in the beginning. The student doctor had cute toys that kept her entertained and engaged, she wasn’t scared of him, and it went rather quickly… in the beginning. He left the room to get a staff doctor to check us out. THIRTY minutes later he finally returned and told us that the staff doctor wanted to put dilating drops in Kinsley's eyes to do BIO (Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscopy). Basically, you stare at an intensely bright light that burns your eyes so the doctor can see the posterior structures inside of the eye, especially the retina. When he put the drop in she immediately screamed. Then he squeezed her nose really tight so the drops wouldn’t get into her nasolacrimal duct. She cried and cried. We had to wait another THIRTY minutes for the drops to dilate her eyes.

The student doctor eventually came back into the room and had a terrible time trying to do BIO on Kinsley. DUH!!! What child would look directly into an intensely bright light?!?! She kept shutting her eyes tight and he kept trying to pry her eyes open (which only made her cry harder and made her eyes really slippery). I knew the appointment wasn’t going very well when the student doctor threw his lens on the table and walked out of the room. In the end, the staff doctor pushed really hard on Kinsley’s head and forced her eyes open.

When we left the appointment, I was worried that she was going to have bruises under her eyes because they were so swollen and red where the doctor had pushed on her little face. The doctor said, “We will see you again when she is three.” And I said to myself, “Over my dead body!” When we were in the car Eric said, “Wow, Pediatric Optometry is worse than Dentistry...I don’t want to go into ped's!”

To look on the (dim) bright side, the appointment wasn’t a total waste. Kinsley got these glasses to protect her eyes and she thinks they are pretty cool.

But next time I think I will skip the appointment and just buy her glasses.

9 comments:

Lant Family said...

Oh man that is terrible. I will be canceling Lucys appointment as soon as possible! If JJ lets me :) I guess I just don't undersand the reason why at such a young age they would need to do all that. Maybe I have no clue and never listen to JJ when he talks about school. But she is really cute with her glasses on and her cute pigtails!

The Jones Crew said...

Oh poor baby! (That's what Kristi kept saying over and over while I read her the blog) It almost sounds like abuse. I think just playing with the eye toys would have been sufficient and of course the cute glasses.

We Joneses said...

that is so sad.
that is so sad!
poor kinsley. And poor you. I bet it was so hard to sit there and let them torture her like that!

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

Yikes! Rhylan has an appointment Friday... Maybe I'll tell them no BIO. Poor Kinsley, she'll have a different idea of eye doctors now!

The Jones Crew said...

Kinsley looks so cute in her glasses I hope you guys had fun at the pumpkin patch today

Jill Manning said...

Are you kidding me? Seriously? I have a feeling neither one of those Dr.s had children because they would have known better. Poor little girl! And poor mommy, I would have thrown the light down on the desk for me. "Over my dead body!" Love it!

The Gracie Jones blog said...

POOR Kinsley! I can't believe that...Eric better not go into the profession of child abuse :) Even though I'm sure he'd do a lot better job than that!

The Sullengers said...

Kash wants Hudson to get an appointment...we'll see...I'm sorry! That is horrifying! Hopefully no bruises!

Mitzi Beal said...

Age three seems a lot more appropriate. I wouldn't take my kid to the eye doctor unless my pediatrician noticed something that concerned him. That sounds like it was pretty horrible for everyone involved.