Wednesday, September 17, 2008

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

So I'm upstairs, reading through old tests to prepare for tomorrow's exam when I hear "AAAAHHHHHHHH!" from below. First thought: Kiley saw a bug. Then I hear, "ERIC! HELP! GET DOWN HERE!" I begin wondering if somebody got into our house so I make it down the 14 stairs in 3 steps (nearly falling in the process) and sprint to the bedroom to find her completely shaken up.

"THE BIGGEST SPIDER I'VE EVER SEEN IS ON MY BED!!" (KJ) I put my arms around her and feel her shake uncontrollably. Goosebumps raise up on her skin as she begins to go into shock. At this point I wonder if one of the humonginormous man-eating "fishing spiders" (like the one we fished out of the swimming pool last month) made it's way into our house.

"IT WAS CLIMBING ON MY SIDE OF THE BED, IN THE BED! HOW IN THE H$!! DID IT GET IN HERE?!" (KJ) I kicked Kiley out of the room to prevent further profanities but knew she wouldn't be appeased until the thing was dead and in the toilet. Fortunately, I noticed movement at my feet and saw this friendly lil' guy, which isn't a spider at all:

Having passed my entomology course with an A, I was able to identify this as a harvestman, of the order: Opiliones. Most of you probably call it a "daddy-long-leg." To learn more about the MYTH that these are the most poisonous "spiders" in the world, check out:

spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Like scorpions, ticks, and spiders, harvestmen belong to the class: Arachnid, but they aren't spiders (only 1 body segme
nt and only 2 eyes on the "daddy-long-leg")



This is a picture I found online
of a fishing spider, but it's
a bit smaller
than the one
found in our swimming pool.

So, our pet harvestman is now outside,
looking for some insects to munch on. And now, I return to studying...

3 comments:

Lant Family said...

You think a spider is bad--read our blog and see what we found in our house last night. I think we win!

Jill Manning said...

I'm with you Kiley, either one of those spiders would have freaked me out. Lucky for you though, Eric sent you out of the room in order to kill it...Ty made me destroy a cockroach that he found in one of our boxes that had been in storage. I still have not let him live it down and throw it in his face consistently. Sorry Eric, a daddy long leg is still considered a spider in my book and should not be anywhere near bed that you sleep in.

The Gracie Jones blog said...

Kiley, I would have reacted the exact same way...in fact, I do every day. Spiders are definitely infesting our house these days and I can't come within 10 feet of them! And Daddy long legs are still super creepy!