Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Business, A Building, & An Abode

A Business
Since Eric decided to be an optometrist, 6 years ago, he has kept in touch with the doctors in Burley. We were told over and over and over again that the older partner would probably "never retire." This disappointed us but we always felt like things would work out as they should. So in September, we got serious and started looking at jobs elsewhere. At the time, our top three practices were in Elko NV, Kemmerrer WY, and Jackson MS.  I was leaning towards the job in Mississippi. I was of the opinion that I didn't really care where we ended up as long as #1. Eric loved what he was doing, #2. Eric made enough money so we could get out of debt all fly back to Idaho a few times a year, and #3. Eric promised to seriously consider the practice in Burley if, or when, it ever became available.

Our search suddenly changed when I got a random phone call late October from my mom. She told me the younger optometrist called her to say that the older partner wanted to retire. He wanted to know if Eric was serious about coming back to Burley and joining the partnership. They had a lengthy conversation in which she told him that we would be delighted to come back to our hometown. She immediately called me and I think I even cried a little bit when I heard the news. I sent the following text message to Eric at work, "OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH! Dr. O called my mom and talked to her for 30 mins. he had a mtg with Dr. Z this morning...he is 65 and is wanting to retire. Dr. O called my mom to see if you were serious about coming to Burley to work..."

A few weeks later (mid-November) we met with the retiring doctor and talked to him about optometry and Special Olympics but he didn't mention retiring. We were disappointed and thought perhaps he decided not to retire after all. Early in December we went to dinner with both partners and their families. Once again, there was no mention of retirement. After Christmas, Eric again met with both Doctors and an offer was finally made. After the meeting Eric said, "I feel so blessed. The what, where, and when of my career goals are all falling into place perfectly."

It is true. We both feel like we have been extremely blessed.

I've been reluctant to post our news because contracts haven't been signed yet and I didn't want to jinx it. We start meeting with lawyers, accountants, and banks this month to go over contracts and prepare for the transition.
A Building
The selling doctor also owns the building where the business is located. Along with selling his practice, he has offered to sell us the building!
The ABODE
Let's be honest. We are up our wazoo's in debt (student loans + business loans + building loans. We are practically millionaires... in debt). Who in their right minds would qualify us for a home loan?!?!? No one is willing to take that risk.... Unless you are Mom and Dad. (Love you guys!)

Granted this isn't our dream home... not by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it is something we can afford while paying off some hefty student/business/building loans. I, personally, am not a visionary person but my brothers tell me, and have to keep reassuring me, that this house has a lot of potential. I don't see it. I smell urine and death. I see garbage, dirt, and junk. But they tell me it is there; it just needs "a little" work.

My parents bought this home last year (for a killer deal), before we knew we were moving to Burley. Their intention was to flip it. My dad and brothers like to fix-up houses in the winter when work is slower-- my mom on the other hand has said, "this is the LAST fixer-upper...only new homes from here on out!".... we will see.

This house has been foreclosed and vacant for over 6 years. If you could smell it and see it, you would know why. We think the lady who lived here had cats... lots of them... who liked to urinate all over. Oh, and she was also a hoarder. The house was packed full of junk. (If you ever need a cap to your toothpaste I have a box of them.)
Enclosed front porch- we are calling it the sun room. Don't you love the red urinated carpet?
Living Room- Dining Room- Kitchen. There was a wall between the dining room and kitchen but I had them tear it out before I thought to take pictures.Office
Living RoomRandom pipe hanging in the kitchen ceiling.... we still don't know why it was there.Laundry Room- We removed another wall in here (hence the huge crack).
Master Bedroom
Master Kitchen.... Eric's always wanted a kitchen in the bedroomMaster BathroomGirl's Bathroom
Kinsley's BedroomAila's Room and Closet
The Scary basement
Outside

Backyard, garage, shed--- side yard with 30 trees
Shed building--- Side yard
Our lovely tagged garage, fence, and side steps.

Remember how I mentioned the lady who lived in the house was a cat lady and the house smelled like urine and like something died in there?...... One day, during renovations, we heard my dad yell from the crawl space, "There's a dead cat down here!" We didn't believe him until we saw the cat. We named him "Bones."
Home Sweet Home.....

11 comments:

R and A Lambert said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That cat is nasty! At least everything else is working out wonderful! Good luck w/ the clean up!!

Katrina said...

Oh my goodness!! I hope that that house works out for you. I'm seriously skeptical!! Cant wait to see the renovations! Good luck! Glad everything is working out so wonderfully in the business department though. I'm jealous! I wish we could buy into a practice. Excited for you guys.

The Petersons said...

im excited to see another before after of the house. :) (the before is pretty sketchy) but i have faith. :)

i hate cats. if you didn't before, i'm sure you do now. :)

Lant Family said...

We are so excited for you guy! Everything has certainly fallen into place for you guys. I am sure you guys are so excited to be close to family. I am glad you have faith in the renovations and I am sure it will all look fantastic when it is all done. That cat is gross, I wonder if she knew she was missing a cat??

Natasha said...

Congratulations on the job!! and good luck with all the work on the home, I am sure it will look amazing when you are done with it!

Andrew and Heather said...

Oh that cat is scary. I absolutely hate cats too, hopefully you can be free of the smell of them as well! Congrats on the job that is so awesome to be close to family!

Rosie said...

I was going to say congratulations and how happy I am for you and all that, but I'm still recovering from that last picture. Give me a minute.

That was not a nice thing to do!

But seriously, this is WONDERFUL news! And your little home is going to be just adorable, I'm sure.

The process sounds pretty similar to what happened to my dad when he was offered a practice. My parents bought the office building, but created a family LLC to officially own it and his practice payed "rent" to the LLC every month. The building was big enough that they rented the other half out to another doctor. That was the money they used to help us through college.

So again, hooray! I'm so glad to hear that everything is working out for you guys!

The Ricks Family said...

Holy Nasty cat!!! I am so glad that things are working out so well for you. I feel your pain with all of the debt. People are always telling us we will be rich, I don't think they realize how much debt we have! I sure hope things work out smoothly for us as well...

The Sullengers said...

How exciting for you guys! I really think you would have been miserable in Elko :) At least you will be close to family and you will have that debt paid off in no time :)

Mitzi Beal said...

Oh my gosh! That cat picture is so disgusting and disturbing and entertaining. That fix up project should be some crazy times. I'm glad you guys got to move back home. Good luck.

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness!!! NASTY! But I am with your brothers, potential baby. I hate cats more than ever now. Good luck and I am excited maybe a little jealous, no, really I am excited for your journey!!! Cant wait to see your place when we visit, "home" sometime!! Good luck!!!