Monday, October 31, 2011

Making Freezer Corn

Growing up, I loved helping my mom make freezer corn--I liked eating it more. I have many memories of helping her in the kitchen during the freezer corn process. My job was always shucking the corn, washing the corn, cooking the corn, and bagging the corn. She never did trust me enough to de-kernel the corn. She did let me try it once but told me I wasn't doing it right. Apparently, de-kerneling corn is an "art." While living in Mississippi, I missed my moms freezer corn. My recipes never tasted right when I had to use can corn or corn in the frozen section. So when I found out we were moving to Utah I told my mom to pick a weekend and I would come home and we could make yummy freezer corn. We decided to make it a family affair and invited my two sisters-in-law too. Besides, many hands make light work.... it also makes A LOT of corn!!!

My cousin, Mike, planted some sweet corn in-between his bean fields. We drove the truck next to the rows and threw the corn into the pickup. We filled the entire truck!
Shucking corn was my favorite part. For some reason, I found it oddly relaxing-- perhaps it was because my girls were inside the house and I couldn't hear them or worry about them.
The neighboring cows and horses loved us because they got all of the corn husks.

The older girls LOVE spending time together but always seem to get into some kind of mischief when Kate isn't around to control them. Luckily for us, Kate was there to help contain everyone.

The little girls loved taking the corn out of the coolers and eating it... raw. Who knew raw corn could be so tasty!
And in case you are wondering, my mom STILL doesn't trust me enough to de-kernel corn.

HOURS of... picking + shucking + washing + boiling + de-kerneling + bagging = 133 bags (399 cups) of delicious freezer corn to last us through the winter.
But if I see another piece of corn before December I may scream.

4 comments:

The Petersons said...

i loooooove freezer corn too. thank heavens lis let me steal some of hers.....or i would go crazy.

we missed you at the cousin party last night! we're planning one for december though, and we'll make sure it's on a date you guys are here! i wanna see those cute little girls! :)

Angela Cothran said...

This looks like so much work :) I'm glad someone is ambitious.

Lant Family said...

MMMM freezer corn. We use to grow a lot of corn in our garden growing up and would freeze the leftovers. It is so yummy! Enjoy it all winter long!

Luna said...

That is a LOT of corn! Good job getting the task done!