Monday, October 17, 2011

Birthday Girl

That's right, I can't believe it either....
AILA TURNED ONE!!!!
Where did this past year go? I swear, years didn't seem to fly by until I had kids. Now, I don't know where the years have gone.

Aila is such a joy to have in our family. She is constantly making us smile. We don't know what we would do without her. She is very independent, loves playing by herself, loves giving hugs and kisses (when SHE wants to), she loves to eat but it has been a constant struggle to get her to drink out of a cup or bottle (8 sippy cups and 3 bottles later we finally found ONE she will drink out of. Who knew a one-year old could be SO opinionated!), she loves dolls and books, but she hates cuddling or being rocked.

I decided to attempt making her birthday cake (I haven't made one since Kinsley's 1st birthday) and the lady bug theme was formed. Kinsley loved and appreciated my efforts and was thrilled that she got to help and lick the beaters. I was surprised how much food coloring it took to make the right shade of red and at the last minute I decided to add red and black sprinkles to the cake. I loved how it turned out! But I won't be going into the cake decorating business anytime soon.
I don't know what made her cry; the cake, the candle, our singing, or a combination of all three. Whatever it was, she definitely wasn't a fan.
At first, she was a tad hesitant about eating her cake...

...then she dug right in!!!

OH-MY-GOODNESS!!!

We ate cake and ice cream first and then opened presents. Unfortunately, I used so much food coloring that her cute little face was stained for pictures.
As you can tell, Aila had more fun playing with her toys while Kinsley opened ALL of her presents for her. I guess that is what sisters are for.

Happy birthday Aila! We love you!

4 comments:

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

That cake is so cute!! First birthdays are so fun. Happy birthday Aila.

The Petersons said...

you should go into the cake decorating business. that cake is so cute! so are your little girls!

Greenwood Family said...

What an awesome cake! Good work! Cute birthday girl.

The Cannons said...

Great job on the cake. Those pictures of Aila are adorable. She is adorable.