Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Communication Barrier

While living in China, communicating was rather difficult, if not impossible, and body language often came in handy. I recall an entire conversation I had with a taxi driver where the only word I could say to him was "Yes." Who knows, some toothless Chinese taxi driver could still be waiting for me to marry him and have his babies because I said "yes" to whatever he asked.

Being a mother, I often feel like I am in another foreign country, unable to speak the language. Recently, Kinsley carried a conversation with me and the only words I understood were "Mom" and "okay." When I didn't do what I had apparently agreed to, she threw herself on the floor and had a short tantrum.

The other night at dinner Kinsley kept saying, "Mama please" while pointing to my plate. I dished her several items from my plate but she just cried and threw them. Then I noticed she was pointing to my corn so I cut off some kernels but she continued crying. Giving up, I left the table in search of a rag to clean up her mess. When I returned she was happy and content, gnawing on MY corn.

Apparently, pointing and whining did not only mean, "I want some corn," but rather, "I want corn on the cob with handles I can hold on to." One day I will get her language down.

4 comments:

Brent & Paij Collins said...

I love when you have friends going through the same thing as you. Morgan was holding the corn just like that at dinner tonight.

Lant Family said...

cute pigtails! Don't worry, soon enough Kinsley will talk non-stop with you and all you will want is a little peace and quiet :)

Luna said...

I think it is MORE likely she will get your language down! It will get better, it is just ridiculously hard at times.

Brittany H said...

Sounds familiar - we must have kids about the same age! I feel like I'm always saying, "Say that again, I'm not sure what you're saying."