Thursday, May 6, 2010

New Orleans Day #2 (part1)

While we live in Mississippi, we want to take advantage of areas that are around us that we probably won't ever come back to see. Eric had a break this week so we headed down south to New Orleans! (I don't have a post for day #1 because it was mostly driving.)

Our first adventure in New Orleans was a swamp tour at Honey Island Swamp. This swamp is unique because it is one of the least altered swamps in the country.
This is the timeshare we stayed in (just kidding)...but they really are timeshares.

When we arrived to the swamp, we saw this trailer pull down to the dock and release two alligators. Our guide told us that the alligators swim up the canals into people's backyards and usually the homeowners' children feed the alligators. Feed an alligator and you have a friend for life. When the parents find out about their child's new "pet" they call these people to catch the alligators and put them back into the river.
Some houses didn't fair very well during Hurricane Katrina.
Kinsley loved the boat!
SceneryTurtlesCrawdads We saw 10 alligators on our 2 hour tour. When the guide stops the boat to feed them (weenies on the end of a stick), the gators swim right up to the boat and let the guide pet them. It was weird to see all the rope swings at the edge of people's docks--who in their right mind would want to swing out into this alligator and snake infested river?! They say alligators are "docile" animals but I don't think I would let MY kids swim in there--I certainly would never do so!

Yes, these boys were really driving this... pick-up/boat down the river.

4 comments:

Brittany H said...

Oh, my heck! I think you are brave to even get in the boat! I can't believe people swing out and swim in it! I'm so scared of the wildlife down here!

JJ said...

That looks like it was a blast. I'm glad we didn't see Eric try to throw Kinsley out in the water :) We'll have to go down there sometime.

The Jones Crew said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. I am glad that Eric didn't throw Kinsley in to the water I am glad that you guys had a blast there.
Love, Kristi

The Sullengers said...

i'm so glad you liked it! We loved it when we went! The guide is a hoot!