Friday, March 26, 2010

Bad Habits

As a child I formed the bad habit of sucking my thumb. I did it for YEARS! My mom did everything she could think of to get me to stop. She put gross medicine on my thumb (which, I soon learned, washed off with soap and water). She made me a reward chart and I received prizes when I didn't suck my thumb (well... when she didn't SEE me sucking my thumb). Eventually, I was put in a retainer and then braces which made me stop.

A month ago I remembered that I hadn't clipped Kinsley's fingernails in awhile. So I got out the clippers but when I went to clip her nails I saw that she didn't have any! I started watching her more closely and noticed that she is ALWAYS chewing on her fingernails! She chews them so short she will come to me and say "Ouch!" and make me kiss them better.

So my question to you is: Do I take measures (ie tabasco sauce on her fingers) NOW to get her to stop this habit or do I wait until she is older?

10 comments:

R and A Lambert said...

Haha! My nephew did the same thing and bit until he was bleeding. During T-ball he would be too busy biting to run after the ball. My sister had to put gloves on his hands to make him stop and he'd get in trouble if he did bite his nails. Good luck w/ Kinsley!

Jessi said...

Kellen does the same thing. I don't remember the last time I clipped his nails. Luckily he doesn't bite them until they hurt him. I'm not too concerned about it now. I probably will if he starts hurting himself.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

That's a tough one! I was a thumb sucker too and as cute as it is when babies are little, it sure is a bad habit!

Up side to trying to fix it now is that she might not remember it later in life... :/ Good luck and let me know if whatever you try, works.

The Gracie Jones blog said...

Kinsley must take after her aunt Abby...I've chewed my fingernails since birth! I wish my mom put tabasco on them when I was young so I'd stop chewing! :) At least she still looks so cute while chewing her nails...those pictures are adorable!

Washington Family said...

Tell her she has 'icky fingers' but that you can paint them to make them 'pretty fingers'. Then paint them ANY color she wants. This worked for my Taryn... and Jordan actually. They don't bite anymore. I'm 29 and I didn't stop biting until 5 months ago. Also have her constantly be doing things with her hands so that she won't think about chewing. Stay on her with the clippers, keep them in your purse or your pocket, so if you see her bite you can clip before she gets it! This all worked for me stopping my habit and stopping it before it became a habit for my girls. Also once you start the process don't let her hear you talking about it, it will remind her of her little new craving. These are just some things that I've learned worked for me. Good luck. This is always a sad thing because we all know it's usually labelled as a stress habit. For me it was, that and bordum. (spell?)

ps. My parents did the whole tabasco sause thing and I LOVED it, it tasted really, really good to me. My kids ALL love spicy foods now, go figure!

The Sullengers said...

That really is a bad habit with all the pictures you have of her :) At least you don't have to cut her nails!

Brittany H said...

Yikes, good luck with that one!! Aren't things like this so fun to try to figure out?!

The Jones Crew said...

Kinsley is getting so big way to fast she is just to cute we miss you guys so very much I love you guys we had so much fun yesterday Love, Kristi Jones

Luna said...

Kiah did it for awhile, but stopped on her own. It ended-up being an anxiety thing for her. She had other this anxiety soothers she did too. But I for sure stopped bothering her about it. Occasionally I would mention it if I saw it in a non-judgmental way. More of a reminder. I just didn't want to drive her desire to do it more.

Sometimes... you as a great example... it is just impossible to get them to stop until they are ready or bothered enough by it.

Lindsay said...

My Mom always had acrylic nails and as a nervous/bored habit, she would chew/nibble on them, but obviously not bite them b/c they were acrylic. I would see her doing this and I think I learned it from her. Almost like that is what you are supposed to do or something like that...

Anyway, over the years, I hated that I would bite my nails and so figured out that if I kept them short and always had a file and nail clipper in my purse just in case, that I wouldn't bite them... Good luck!!