Saturday, Eric and I were called to have an interview with a member of the Stake Presidency Sunday morning. In my opinion, meetings with members of the Stake Presidency are never a good idea. It usually entails a calling that most people don't pray or ask for. Since my dad is our Stake President, I called my mom to put feelers out to see if she knew why were were called in. She named a few callings a member of the Stake Presidency would call someone too... all of which I wasn't too thrilled about. I knew the calling was for Eric- although they needed me there for my approval. Eric was hesitant about the meeting. He has really enjoyed being the ward language (Spanish) mission leader. I spent a sleepless night.
Sunday morning we met with President King, who extended a call to Eric to be the ward mission leader...in the Spanish Branch. A calling that will be for two years (although the last guy had the calling for four years). Eric, of course, readily accepted this new calling. When asked if I would support him in this new calling, the only thing I could think to say was, "Sí." Regarding where the girls and I were to attend church, I was told we could do whatever is "best for your family." Luckily for us, the Spanish Branch meets in the same building as our ward. So, I figured the girls and I would go on as usual, except Eric would attend meetings at a different time and in a different language.
Two hours later, I sat with Eric and my girls as we sustained him as the Spanish Branch ward missionary (in the Spanish Branch). The girls and I left sacrament meeting early- to attend our English ward. As I was leaving, Eric leaned over and whispered. "The Spanish Branch President strongly encouraged families to attend together." I just smiled and said, "I don't speak Spanish. The girls don't speak Spanish. We were told to do what is best for our family. You are in the same building if I need you."
I left to take the girls to primary/nursery and teach my primary class. Two hours later, I was sitting with my girls in our normal sacrament meeting while Eric was meeting with the old ward mission leader to get a list of all Spanish families being taught the gospel. I should mention that the Spanish branch covers three different stakes. After the sacrament was passed, Eric came in, sat by me, and whispered, "I was told all of our records ARE being changed to the Spanish Branch. I think they will release us from our callings next week."
Stunned.
It isn't that I am not willing to serve.
I just don't speak Spanish. Nor have I ever had the desire to learn it. (High School Spanish was enough for me.) I enjoy knowing words and phrases, but carrying on a conversation or understanding someone giving a lesson or talk is totally different. I also feel like I have a very hard time making friends. I am really shy. I am not outgoing. We have been in our house and in our current ward for two months and I am barely feeling like I am getting to know people and am slowly making friends. Now I feel like a fish out of the water.. going to the Spanish Branch... meeting more new people... not to mention the huge language barrier. I totally realize there are a lot of "I's" in this paragraph and I don't mean to be like that.... that is just the way I feel. I also worry about my kids. Aila recently started going to nursery without crying. I love her nursery leaders! They have such a great structured, loving, safe, learning environment. Aila also looks forward to seeing her friend, Tessa, there each Sunday. Kinsley loves going to Primary and singing time. She loves her teacher and is making friends in her class. I have enjoyed teaching my Primary class; they are such great kids.
I just can't believe it.... SPANISH BRANCH... and I don't even speak Spanish.
5 comments:
Wow, that would be hard. My dad has the same calling, but my mom and sister don't go to church with him. Maybe b/c it's at a different building? Strange they would move all of you into that ward. Good luck!
Oh my! Good luck with that :) I agree with Amy, that is strange they would just move all of you. I see your point on all of your concerns. I hope you guys can figure something out that will help you all be happy.
Good luck! I would have the same worries/concerns. I bet you will do awesome!!
That does sound like a major trial! I hope things work out quickly for you.
Wow! I had no idea...and I am sure I would have the exact same feelings that you do with the language and making friends thing. But I'm sure things will work out how they are supposed to, and Eric will be perfect in that calling!
Post a Comment