Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Forever Twenty-Nine

Not Going Gracefully
By Tom Mulhern

It isn’t fair, that’s what I say
To go from twenty-nine to thirty in just one day

It’s much too drastic, it’s too big a change
It’s got me unsettled and it feels all strange

This shift is too sudden, it doesn’t seem right
To be twenties for ten years, then thirty overnight?

From twenties to thirties is heartless and mean
There really should be something in-between.
For my birthday I made plans to go to Melcher with a few of my friends for a "Weekend Get-Away Birthday Extravaganza." Grandpa assured me we could make it up to the house. (However, he hadn't been up there since November.) I learned an important lesson. Never trust Grandpa.

My brother, Jared, was taking his scouts up there too for a winter campout. When we were leaving my parent's house to drive up the mountain, we got a call from Jared (who left earlier that day) saying, "We are stuck. Bring chains or a tractor to get us unstuck."

My parents went up ahead of us to see if they could help my brother and his scouts. We continued driving toward Albion thinking, "Maybe, by the time we get there they will have a pathway dug so we can make it up." At the base of the mountain, cell service is really bad. We got a voicemail from my mom saying, "Don't come up! All three trucks are stuck. There is no way you can make it up to the house!"

So, we had to send our friends back into Burley. Eric and I headed up the mountain to help everyone that was stuck--Of course OUR truck wouldn't get stuck. By the time we reached everyone, two of the three trucks were unstuck and the third was SOOO stuck I think they will have to wait until spring to get it out. We all made it safely down the mountain without anymore mishaps.

Birthday plans at Melcher were pretty much ruined, so we came up with a plan B. First we had dinner at Al's Pizza and then went to Eric's house for ice cream cake.
The party continued at my house for conversation, games, and a slumber party (with very little slumber). I have some of the greatest friends! (Matt and Rhiannon left by the time I remembered to take this picture)
Thanks everyone who commented on my Birthday Blog! It was such a great surprise and many of you had me laughing/crying. Thanks for making my birthday great!

Lucille Ball had it right when she said, "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." Therefore I shall forever be twenty-nine.

2 comments:

Lant Family said...

Happy Birthday!!

The Ricks Family said...

Happy birthday. It reminds me of the family reunion at palisades when all of the trucks got stuck out on the lake bed and everyone got stung by bees :-)